Hoefler Text Ornaments

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 26 16:14:29 CDT 2022

Steve Downey wrote:

> It's a deliberately high bar.

Indeed.

I appreciate that there are reasons for that very high bar.

As I have symbols that I have devised that I wish to express in plain
text yet conserve the meaning, I have devised a technique that goes some
way to achieving that result for me.

Perhaps a similar technique could be applied for encoding Hoefler Text
Ornaments.

Please find attached a graphic showing nine symbols, that are for yes,
indefinite yes, somewhat yes, needing more information, not knowing,
refusing to answer, somewhat no, indefinite no, no.

I encode these as plain text using a four character sequence for each
symbol. I use %791 for yes, through to %799 for no. Display is by using
an OpenType colour font that I produced myself.

There is no guarantee that the encoding will be unique, yet it is, in my
opinion, better than using a Private Use Area encoding as it is better
for conserving meaning, as, in the absence of a suitable font, there is
a graceful fallback to the encoding sequence for each symbol.

William Overington

Tuesday 26 July 2022