Different Bidirectional Character Types

r12a ishida at w3.org
Wed Jul 13 09:51:29 CDT 2022

Asmus Freytag wrote on 13/07/2022 15:43:
> On 7/13/2022 2:58 AM, r12a wrote:
>> The approach differs not only by script and which digits are used,
>> but also by language. Arabic and Persian both use the Arabic script,
>> but do things differently when it comes to ordering components of a
>> range or expression.
>
> Isn't that difference handled by having two different sets of digits?
> As opposed to relying on a language tag.

See the cases in figs. 3 and 4 at
https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/arb.html#expressions.  Same
digits, different expectations about directionality.

I wasn't talking about language tags or behaviour arising from character
properties (indeed the language tag doesn't make a difference) – i was
talking about the user expectations differing from language to language
about the order in which digits appear in the text.

hth
ri