Different Bidirectional Character Types

r12a ishida at w3.org
Wed Jul 13 04:58:22 CDT 2022

The approach differs not only by script and which digits are used, but
also by language.  Arabic and Persian both use the Arabic script, but do
things differently when it comes to ordering components of a range or
expression.

Also, we should probably mention that some scripts don't display simple
numbers like Arabic/Hebrew, either. For example, in Adlam & N'Ko and
various historical scripts numbers have the most-significant digit on
the right.

ri