The control codes of the 1976 teletext specification are a brilliant solution, given the boundary condition

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 12 10:53:19 CST 2022

In the document

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2022/22013-c0-c1-stability.pdf

Kent Karlsson writes:

> But there are some character encodings that are “a bit crazy” when it
> comes to control codes. They override all of C0 (or C1) with something
> that cannot even be regarded as pure control characters. In particular
> Teletext ...

In my opinion, the control codes of the 1976 teletext specification are
a brilliant solution, given the boundary condition that existed at the
time.

In order to work, a teletext-equipped television set needed enough solid
state memory, to which data could be wriiten and from which data could
be read, to store a whole teletext page.

At the time such solid state memory was expensive, so using two
kilobytes of memory rather than one kilobyte of memory would have added
significant cost to each teletext-equipped television set.

So the decision was made to design the specification such that one
kilobyte of solid state memory would be sufficient to store a complete
teletext page.

I was told that originally the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
and the IBA (Independent Broadcasting Authority) had each developed a
prototype system of a text-based information system of its own and that
the best features of each were included in the agreed common teletext
technical specification.

In an era where personal computing was only starting and computers were
mostly in businesses, universities and polytechnics, and mostly in
monochrome and just text-based, colourful teletext with its graphics was
very futuristic and often on view displaying a multipage (a teletext
page on a fixed page number yet such that there were a number of
different page displays broadcast in sequence, changing, say, every
thirty seconds) in the window display of a shop.

William Overington

Wednesday 12 January 2022