Re: E-inside-o / o-enclosing-e variant of German ö

Alexander Lange alexander.lange at catrinity-font.de
Sun Feb 27 03:13:24 CST 2022

Hi,

another German here. I also think it is just a glyph variant of ö - or
rather Ö. I have only ever seen this in all-uppercase inscriptions where
the line height is hardly bigger than the capital height. In both images
Sai has linked to you can see that all lines would need to be higher
just for the one umlaut in one of the lines if the standard glyph were
used.

There are several strategies to achieve this:

  * Use a smaller variant of the base letter. This is commonly done on
    keyboards, see e.g. here:
https://angelikasgerman.co.uk/what-does-a-german-keyboard-look-like/
    and on license plates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FE-Schrift#/media/File:FE-Schrift.svg
  * Put dots or e inside O or U (doesn't work well with A)
  * Put one dot at each side of A or O (doesn't work well with U)
  * Use AE, OE or UE.

In normal text and especially on small letters, none of this is needed
as you have enough space on top of the letters anyway.

Kind regards,
Alexander