Burmese Rendering (dots and circles)

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Wed Aug 31 23:51:05 CDT 2022

On 2022-09-01 2:53 AM, Richard Wordingham via Unicode wrote:
> I would wonder though about their contacts for Sanskrit, and for that
> matter, Pali, community.  I seem to be the one who alerted them to the
> fact that they'd overlooked the DD.DDHA conjunct.  Despite the
> statement in TUS and in the 2006 submissions to the TUC from Michael
> Everson and Martin Hosken, the Padauk font declines to support <U+1039
> VIRAMA, U+101D WA>.  The Sixth Council text of the Tipitaka, or at
> least, something declaring itself to be such, is printed using a
> triangular WA for the conjuncts, even in words like အနွာဿဝေယျုံ
> anvāssaveyyuṃ (Verse 213 in the Dighanikaya, available at
> https://www.pali-text-images.net/cst/02-suttantapitaka/06-dighanikaya-1-cst.pdf),
> so I suspect negative feedback is limited, and besides, Padauk by
> default provides a round glyph for MEDIAL WA.

In N3043 the character U+103D MYANMAR CONSONANT SIGN MEDIAL WA was
proposed to be a disunification from the sequence U+1039 MYANMAR SIGN
VIRAMA plus U+101D MYANMAR LETTER WA.  The glyph used in the proposal
for U+103D looks mostly circular until it is magnified, at which point
it appears vaguely teardrop shaped.

In a subsequent Myanmar proposal, N3143, the glyph for U+103D (Medial
Wa) is shown as a circle, picture attached.  In the current code charts,
Medial Wa is teardrop shaped.

So : ္ + ဝ ≠  ွ

Since the new character was a disunification rather than a replacement,
a Myanmar font should support both the sequence and the Medial Wa
character.  And the Medial Wa character should display as a teardrop
shape rather than a circle.  And the virama sequence glyph should
display as a circle, which is simply a reduced letter Wa.  Is this correct?

As Richard has pointed out, the Padauk font does not support the
Virama+Wa sequence.  Picture attached.

Here's the text used to make the Padauk exhibit screen capture:
အနွာဿဝေယျုံ  -  with medial wa
အန္ဝာဿဝေယျုံ -  with virama+wa