bold, italic, underline at once

Harriet Riddle harjitmoe at outlook.com
Mon Aug 29 10:02:45 CDT 2022

I'm not sure if I understand the question.

Denoting and styling ranges of emphasis is not governed by Unicode
itself, being a matter of higher-level protocols including but not
limited to HTML/CSS, RTF, ECMA-48, IPTC 7901 and the myriad dialects of
Markdown and Wikitext.

In some contexts, stylised forms of a letter (e.g. blackletter) might be
given a special meaning in a particular context; some such forms are
included in Unicode in the Letterlike Symbols and Mathematical
Alphanumeric Symbols blocks, and some (including blackletter) have HTML5
entities inherited from ISO 9573-13.  Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols
likewise includes e.g. bold serif, italic serif and bold italic serif
forms of the Basic Latin alphabet letters.  While there might be a
tendency in the wild to use these to stylise text where markup is
unavailable, this is not really orthopraxic and (in more pragmatic
terms) tends to be poorly supported by older devices and also assistive
technology (although since they compatibility-decompose to the ASCII
letters, it is theoretically /possible/ for assistive technology to
support this, which cannot be said of some other novelty stylisations
with lookalike characters).

The underlining is available as a combining character (U+0332).  This is
essentially a nonspacing version of the ASCII underscore, and can be
applied if an underlined version of a symbol distinct from the plain
symbol is needed for some purpose. Underlining an entire block of text
that way is likely to have subpar results, and should generally be done
with higher level markup instead.  And yes, this can be applied to
Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols characters if (say) a bold underlined
sans-serif R is being used as a particular symbol for something, i.e. 𝙍̲.