Tai Tham Text Encoding

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 26 16:17:53 CDT 2022

On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 01:28:55 -0700
Jungshik SHIN (신정식) via Unicode <unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 9:17 AM Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
> unicode at corp.unicode.org> wrote:

> > What should I call the specification of the encoding of text, as
> > opposed to the encoding of characters?  Would it be suitable to
> > refer to it as 'text encoding'?

> How about  "text representation"?   See table 12-3 and the text
> around it (TUS chap 12. p.464).
> Or, would 'rendering rules' work better?

Thanks, that's a useful suggestion.  I think "encoded representation
of Tai Tham text" would be a useful phrase.  For Tai Tham, the debate
is mostly not about how to encode glyphs, but about how to order their
encodings.  (There may be debates about how to handle regional mergers
of characters, such as the vowel sign MAI SAT and the tone mark TONE-2,
also widely called 'mai sat', and some of the writings of Pali 'jjh'.)