Definition of Values of Property Vertical_Orientation

Sławomir Osipiuk sosipiuk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 18:31:55 CDT 2022

On Monday, 22 August 2022, 18:45:38 (-04:00), Richard Wordingham via
Unicode wrote:

 > The description in the file gives no assurance of that. I did,
 > however, find the necessary assurance in UAX #44 Revision 28 Section
 > 4.2.9.1.

This section, if anything, gives less assurance, by my reading.

"Complex default values other than those specified in the "@missing" line
are explicitly listed in the relevant property file, except for instances
noted in this section." [...] "Vertical_Orientation: This property defaults
to Rotated (R) for most code points, but defaults to Upright (U) for
unassigned code points in blocks associated with scripts that are
themselves predominantly Upright, in blocks for some notational systems,
and in blocks predominantly associated with pictographic symbols and emoji"

This implies to me that the default U values my *not* be (machine-readably)
explicitly listed in this particular property file - why else would it be
noted in this section? Inspecting the file, "R" is indeed listed in the
@missing line, which leaves us with the implication that the default "U" in
specific sections is *not* listed and must be handled specially based on
outside information.

This seems to be a case of descriptive conceptual information appearing to
be *imperative*.

Why is Vertical_Orientation even listed in 4.2.9.1 if it doesn't need
special handling? How is it even a "complex" case in any meaningful way?
The default is "R". The "U" ranges are all explicitly listed, making them
*non-default* from a parsing standpoint, all handled by normally reading
the data file. Is this not correct?