Western symbols? Large symbol site? Superscripts?

dchmelik at gmail.com dchmelik at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 05:20:37 CDT 2022

Unicode has large number Eastern
philosophical/metaphysical/spiritual/religious symbols including scant
far Eastern ones but huge number of crosses (stemming from near East,
not strictly Western).
         There are fewer well-recognizable true Western/European
(pagan/heathen) ones: it's nice there's sun/monad (though I don't count
astrological symbols, some divinities but also pseudoscience), and nice
there's owl, snake, bee, spear, caduceus, thunderbolts, eagle, ankh,
pentagram except circled (I recall one can place circle over like on
reverse C before copyleft, but usually a mess... never works well for
me)... of course most those are obscure and some may only be emojis...
         Much from SymbolDictionary.net (and similar) should be unicode
(some won't fit except if emojis are large.  Maybe down/shut):
http://web.archive.org/web/20220629004008/http://symboldictionary.net/
<http://web.archive.org/web/20220629004008/http://symboldictionary.net/>
.  There should arguably be flaming torch, perhaps Aegis/Medusa, likely
lyre, and (I forgot stuff from this set but) hammer--not just obvious
Thor's but Hephaestus/Vulcan's, and Slavic Hands of God (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funerary_urn_from_Bia%C5%82a#/media/File:Hands_of_God.svg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funerary_urn_from_Bia%C5%82a#/media/File:Hands_of_God.svg>
), Awen ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awen
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awen> , don't know which version, but
USA-approved for veterans' headstones), perhaps cauldron, probably all
Valknuts ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valknut
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valknut> ).  Sun & Pythagorean monad may
have variations but there should arguably be Pythagorean duad, triad,
tetrad, pentad, hexad, heptad, octad, nonad, tetractys, though some
variants get big, but at least tetractys:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetractys
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetractys> .  One pentad variant is simply
circled pentagram (used by some Hellenists and a large number of Celtic
& other pagans, and others including in West Asia, and USA-approved for
veterans' headstones, as are some others).

         I have a few old books like SymbolDictionary.net but there
is/was also an obscure better website (since 1990s or '0s) which had
(tens of?) thousands symbols including virtually all
philosophical/spiritual/religious and even more others... does anyone
know it?  I viewed it before ever heard of unicode but thought since
similarly large number of symbols unicode people might know.  There may
be a couple similar sites, one which is easier to find but newer (and
far fewer symbols and more difficult to navigate).

         Of course, I don't expect (m)any of these may appear anytime
soon or for years: just suggestions.  What I consider a bit more
important is full Greek superscripts or /at least/ pi (π), used in the
most important mathematical equation, eⁱˣ=cos x+i sin x: eⁱ^π +1=0.  I
mentioned that a couple times explaining oldest but still widely-used
Internet areas (NNTP/Usenet (apart from perhaps Google Groups posting
HTML) and Internet Relay Chat (IRC)) are plaintext... IRC isn't changing
because also command-line, and within last year there have still been
IRC science/mathematics chat rooms with maybe 1,000+ people... no one
wants to put 'p' for 'π'. Seems most unicode discussers never think in
terms of command-line & pre-World_Wide_Web (WWW) protocols--only GUI
desktop personal computer (PC) and WWW--some missed/ignored my argument
and stated 'any maths discussion area has "rich" text' (incorrect):
please try to think outside one's main PC context/paradigm and consider
plaintext/command-line scientists/technicians (surely some work(ed) on
unicode).  It took many years suggestions to get copyleft, so unlikely
any better case with 'π' (but for advanced maths, apparently every Greek
letter is used both superscript & subscript, and in 1800s Hebrew was
added, but uncommonly superscript & subscript so am not asking for Hebrew).

         Glad to see more far Eastern symbol proposals, which should
come first but in relation: an Eurasian Tengrii symbol or a few would
eventually be nice (obscure so won't yet post Tengri crescent, yurt
top... another--Tengri shield--is similar to a native American symbol,
whose symbols should be considered (not meaning just USA but The
Americas, North & South)).  All I do is suggest; others also suggested
copyleft and someone finally proposed & added... unlikely we'll get '^π
' soon but maybe someone/anyone likes spiritual symbols?
--D