Fwd: How the C programming language bridges the man-machine gap

John W Kennedy john.w.kennedy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 08:31:03 CDT 2022

There were some pre-360 systems, certainly (such as the IBM 650 and 7070), and perhaps, too, the Soviet machines that used trits instead of bits, where it is not correct to assume that '1' + 1 == '2', but I doubt those machines ever ran C.

But in this age when there are already major languages (e.g., Java and Swift) that support only Unicode, this entire discussion is rather moot.

--
John W. Kennedy
"Compact is becoming contract,