Dentistry notation symbols

Jonathan Chan jonathanhwchan at
Fri Apr 8 13:26:14 CDT 2022

What are code points U+23BE..U+23CC in Miscellaneous Technical used for?


They're all named DENTISTRY SYMBOL LIGHT..., and the Standard only says
they're for dental notation:

*Dental Symbols.* The set of symbols from U+23BE to U+23CC form a set of
> symbols from JIS X 0213 for use in dental notation.

According to Wikipedia the first two and the last two are used in Palmer
notation <>, but it doesn't
explain what the rest of them are used for. The only historical document I
could find with some sort of explanation is document N2195
<>, but it only explains
how they're used and not what they're meant to represent, why they need to
exist, or what the circle, triangle, and tilde mean. Based on some cursory
searching it doesn't seem like those symbols are standard in modern dental
notation either.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the Unicode mailing list