IUC 45 remote attendance options required

Dominik Röttsches drott at google.com
Tue Sep 28 08:51:00 CDT 2021

Hi Mike and others,

I appreciate there's a step in the right direction and a remote
connectivity option for speakers is useful. Thank you. Sharing of
conference videos is finally happening, that's a good step as well.

Still, I think this solution severely lacks remote participation. I've
attended conferences such as the ATypI Tech Talks 2021 or the Type Tech
Meetup which were better set-up for making the conference attendance
accessible remotely. The technology is there. Post event video catch-up is
useful, but it does not replace, for example, a forum or chat room in which
questions can be asked by the audience directly after a talk and brought to
the room.

The numbers on participation being mostly US and even California centric
lead me to think about survivorship bias. Perhaps there's a problem in
itself in how this conference is set up, how it invites attendees and whom
it makes excited to join? We may ask ourselves why the numbers are like
that, and why the conference is not attracting a more diverse audience. The
fact that the audience numbers so far have been North America centric or
even California centric does not mean that the conference should be
organized exclusively for that audience. Instead, in my opinion, it should
be opened up wider and make it even easier for an international audience to
attend and participate.

I find there are good topics and content that interest me in this
conference, but I'd like to share my opinion here in the hope of future
improvements.

Dominik