Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

David Starner prosfilaes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 20:21:14 CDT 2021

On Sun, Sep 19, 2021 at 8:22 AM Matt Rice <ratmice at gmail.com> wrote:
> How many of the above scripts were not intended to be written i.e. copied,
> By its very nature most scripts are.
>
> It's somewhat paradoxical to argue that something is for reading and
> writing, but that copying the script itself is reserved.

Stock photos are made to be copied, but not for free, and often with
usage caveats. Virtually all open source software is not public
domain, and has restrictions on how you can copy and use it.

Navajo is now offered as a subject in some Arizona public schools. The
Hopi asked why Navajo was and Hopi wasn't. Arizona said, sure, we can
offer Hopi. The Hopi said, but only to actual Hopi. Which is why Hopi
is not offered as a subject in Arizona public schools. Just because
it's a language/script, doesn't mean they want you using it.

> I don't get your Pepe the Frog analogy, unless there is a "How to draw
> Pepe the Frog" drawing book, where we don't know if the author might
> sue you

The creator of Pepe the Frog turned a blind eye to huge amounts of
meme use. But as the Guardian says in "Pepe the Frog creator wins
$15,000 settlement against Infowars"*: (
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/13/pepe-the-frog-creator-wins-15000-settlement-against-infowars
)

"Infowars had been selling Pepe’s image on posters when Furie brought
the copyright lawsuit against it in order to stop his character’s
image being used in forms that he is opposed to, especially for
commercial gain.

"Louis Tompros, Furie’s lawyer, told the Washington Post: “The goal of
this was not really about making money and certainly not about going
after Alex Jones … The goal is to make sure the use of Pepe in
association with hateful images and ideas stops, and if anybody thinks
they’re going to make any money by selling Pepe hate merchandise, they
won’t.”

If Osage or Adlam became a code script of some non-Osage or Fula
speaking group, said group being considered odious, I can imagine
legal action being taken to try and suppress that use. Lawsuits to
stop the Fraktur-style Adlam that's hypothetically might become
weirdly popular among certain white right-wing groups in the US and
Europe, for example.

I understand why the concerns are different, but I don't think they're
different in an abstract legal sense; they're only different in that
Paramount is far more powerful than the Barry brothers.

I do wonder if calling it pIqaD instead of Klingon, and thus
distancing Unicode from the core Paramount trademarks, might help.
Possible trademark issues are something more or less unique to
Klingon.

--
The standard is written in English . If you have trouble understanding
a particular section, read it again and again and again . . . Sit up