Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Sun Sep 19 18:29:21 CDT 2021

On 9/16/21 12:03 PM, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> If "dignity" is the wrong word to describe the quality of Unicode that would have been sacrificed, in the eyes of the senior managers, by encoding Klingon, perhaps "professionalism" or "credibility" or "seriousness" might be more suitable.

Whatever word you use, it doesn't sound better.  It's been claimed that
I'm just imagining things and this was never really an issue, but it is
very clearly articulated in an official Unicode proposal:
https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2001/01212-RejectKlingon.html  A proposal
which *passed*.  So, yes, Unicode is on-record with that argument.

And really, what's beneath Unicode's dignity is this "dignity"
argument.  "We won't encode X because we don't want to be associated
with Y" is just as bigoted and narrow-minded when X="Klingon", Y="Star
Trek nerds who live in their parents' basements" as it is when
X="Qur'anic typographical marks" and Y="terrorist fanatics."  Both do a
disservice to the communities.

THAT is something that is beneath Unicode's dignity.

~mark