Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Sep 16 19:35:16 CDT 2021

On 9/15/21 10:17 PM, Asmus Freytag via Unicode wrote:
> David raises an interesting point. Perhaps an "approval in principle, 
> subject to resolving IP issues" is in fact a reasonable approach that 
> could be taken. Something that documents that no specific technical or 
> other eligibility problems remain. That might well improve the basis 
> for settling IP issues.

It's already been pointed out that Unicode doesn't do "provisional 
approval."  And I'm okay with that.  It doesn't have to be complete "we 
promise we approve this as soon as the remaining issue is worked out."  
Just something like "yeah, this looks pretty good, and if you get the 
remaining issue worked out we can discuss any details."

Or, as I asked at the start, I'd settle for "we'll at least consider 
it," i.e. rescind the decision rejecting it and take it off the "nope, 
not gonna encode" list.  Why should Paramount consider the issue when 
there's a rule on the books that it can't be encoded? (remember, the 
ostensible reason had nothing to do with intellectual property.)  So as 
David Starner says, you wind up with a deadlock, and this is just 
another way of declaring rejection.

If the reasons for the decision to reject are no longer valid, what 
excuse is there for retaining the decision?  If the claim is that they 
are still valid, surely that is subject to debate.


More information about the Unicode mailing list