Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Sep 16 11:03:55 CDT 2021

"Dignity" was my attempt to summarize, paraphrase, the second objection stated by Ken on Tuesday:

> Klingon, on the other hand, was a case *both* for IP issues
> interfering with a potential encoding that was being pushed *and* was
> an early poster child for what was considered "frivolous" encoding by
> many participants in SC2 as well as by many senior managers who were
> paying the salaries of representatives they were sending to UTC
> meetings.

If "dignity" is the wrong word to describe the quality of Unicode that would have been sacrificed, in the eyes of the senior managers, by encoding Klingon, perhaps "professionalism" or "credibility" or "seriousness" might be more suitable.

I'm not a member of Team Klingon either, but I do think if Klingon is going to be non-approved indefinitely, we should be forthright about the reason(s). I'd love to see a statement from Paramount's legal team, formally waiving any IP claims against Unicode for encoding it or font designers for implementing it, just to see where that gets us.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org