Difference between Klingon and Tengwar

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 18:56:29 CDT 2021

I have not been following the status of Klingon encoding closely, but it
seems like a few things have changed since the early days:
- we have decisively moved beyond the BMP, and are now at nearly 145k
assigned characters
- we have encoded, and then greatly expanded, emoji, for which many of us
(including some early proposers) where "holding our noses"

This suggests to me that we have a slightly lower bar for "invented" and
"frivolous" characters than 20 years ago.

(Although, usage for Klingon is magnitudes lower than where usage of emoji
was even before adding them in Unicode 6.)

markus