"DOS fonts" (was RE: Breaking barriers)

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Mon Oct 25 15:03:50 CDT 2021

On 2021-10-25 5:23 PM, Doug Ewell via Unicode wrote:
> Peter Constable wrote:
>
>>> A DOS command then enabled users to swap the font-in-use.
>> As I recall, DOS had no such command. Rather, one needed a utility
>> that would load the font data into specific memory.
> I suspect James was thinking of the MODE CON CP SELECT=x command, where 'x' was the code page ID of the desired character set.
My post was poorly phrased.  "A command entered at the DOS prompt" would
have been better.  It wasn't a native DOS command.  An internet search
revealed that typical extensions for the modified/newly created fonts
included "*.F11" or "*.F12".  I couldn't locate the "*.COM" file which
swapped the font-in-use in my archives, I can't remember the file name.
I did find "8859-5.f16" in a directory, which appears to be one I made
back in the day.