"DOS fonts" (was RE: Breaking barriers)

Peter Constable pgcon6 at msn.com
Mon Oct 25 12:02:39 CDT 2021

> A DOS command then enabled users to swap the font-in-use.

As I recall, DOS had no such command. Rather, one needed a utility that would load the font data into specific memory.

I dealt with that while working on my MA in linguistics: I had a Hercules graphics card (pre-VGA, but better than EGA) and a utility specific to the Hercules to load font data into memory on the Hercules card. And Word for DOS had a graphics mode that would display using whatever font was provided by the Hercules card. So, I could edit word documents with "special" characters.

Peter