AW: Breaking barriers

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Thu Oct 21 17:40:47 CDT 2021

If I recall correctly, someone has proved that "fully automatic
high-quality translation" is AI-hard.  Meaning that it's basically the
same as making a fully aware, human-intelligence AI.  Now, that probably
depends a lot on the details of "high-quality." There are probably
sentences and texts one could cook up that a would-be translator would
need arbitrarily good understanding of the context, situation, shared
cultural memories and references, etc etc for, and I guess that would be
what the "proof" was about.  Obviously, machine translation has improved
in ways nobody(?) would have expected it to when the field was in its
infancy, and has done it by a completely different method. Instead of
making more and more sophisticated programs to understand and parse the
grammars of various languages and build networks of subjects and
predicates, modern translation, afaik, depends greatly on throwing
_vast_ amounts of known text into the mix and doing some heavy-duty
number- and memory-crunching to almost "guess" at what's probably the
best translation, without necessarily actually "understanding" what it
means.  (BTW, am I totally wrong about this?)  It seems to me that that
does have farther to take us, and we'll probably see a lot more
improvement, but it can only take us so far.  Then again, "so far" might
be far enough.  If you have a translator whose results are semantically
satisfactory, say, 97% of the time, and sound only a little
awkwardnessful to a native speaker in the target language... well,
customers' standards may be willing to duck a little.

~mark