Encoding ConScripts

James Kass jameskass at code2001.com
Sat Oct 9 12:36:57 CDT 2021

On 2021-10-09 5:03 AM, Anshuman Pandey via Unicode wrote:
> At IUC 45 next Thursday, Deborah Anderson and I will be presenting on “Negotiating Neographies: Approaches for Encoding Newly-Invented Scripts”.
>
> I’ll be discussing some metrics that may be used for evaluating neographies (nod to Ken W for that term), conscripts, or whatever you’d like to call them.
>
> Such metrics, as James pointed out, are necessary, especially considering the influx of proposals to encode newly-invented scripts, particularly those of Africa and South Asia.

Neography is a splendid coinage.

This is a fascinating topic and I hope that there will be a video of the
presentation.

Consider the following two imaginary proposals:

1)  I am an inventor and I have designed a brand new writing system for
my people.  I would like for it to be in Unicode so that it will be
standard.  Once it is in the Standard I will have something to point to,
which might help me persuade my people to use it.

2)  We have developed a new writing system for our people.  We are using
this new writing system to publish books and periodicals.  Our new
writing system is being taught in our schools and our people have
embraced the writing system wholeheartedly.

Most everyone here will agree that proposal 1 is a complete non-starter
and that proposal 2 would be given due consideration with a high
probability of eventual acceptance.

But many proposals will probably be somewhere in between those two
scenarios.  Where does one draw the line?  I expect that the upcoming
presentation will thoughtfully address this matter.