The encoding of flags

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 6 11:49:49 CDT 2021

In

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2021/21172-esc-recs.pdf

Emoji Subcommittee Report Q4, 2021

There is a section entitled

Closing the Door on Flag Category F4

There is included the following.

> We encourage vendors to instead support inline images, such as
> stickers, GIFs, and so on

My concern is that it is one thing for large organizations to agree on
common standards that benefit consumers, but quite another for them to
be asked at a meeting of the Unicode Technical Committee to agree to
restrict future development. It is not what they are there to do. Are
they allowed to do that as there is no basis for that restriction
benefitting consumers?

There could be a quite straightforward solution. Simply register with
index numbers expressed in a sequence of tag digit characters all flags
for which a glyph is supplied, as a white flag followed by a sequence of
tag digits followed by a cancel tag. That way people who want flags
encoded for unambiguous plain text use get what they want.

William Overington

Wednesday 6 October 2021