Is there an emoji for Thank you

Mark E. Shoulson mark at kli.org
Tue Oct 5 17:19:28 CDT 2021

On 10/5/21 4:28 PM, Tex via Unicode wrote:
> That's a bit unfair Mark. Someone can want to represent an idea (be it an object, emotion, action, or other concept) and not have the visual or artistic skills to know how to depict it, or simply not know the best way to do so, given many options being considered. People should be able to ask a question without there being an implication if you have to ask there is no answer.

Perhaps that is too strong.  I guess what I'm saying is if it's
something you can't really imagine being captured by an image, then,
well, I guess you shouldn't expect it to be captured by an image.

> And pictures often represent more than a static view of an object. The choice of the view and the context in the image can indicate action or other states.
> There are many photographic images that communicate sadness, loneliness or a host of other emotions without showing facial expressions at all.

Facial expressions was not intended as an exhaustive list of things we
associate with emotions, though they are the most commonly-used in
emoji.  You also can't really compare emoji to the corpus of
photographic images out there.  Emoji are limited, both in size and
complexity and also in specification.  What I mean by the last is that
emoji are not defined as a vector or raster image, but by a description
(generally a very short one) which may be interpreted in different ways
and needs to remain identifiable in all them (ideally).

~mark