Using ZWNJ ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER in practice

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu May 27 14:16:12 CDT 2021

Using ZWNJ ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER in practice

Today I had need to use ZWNJ U+200C in a practical application.

https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf

I was using the EB Garamond font.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/142990-eb-garamond-a-font-with-lots-of-ligatures/

I had the word 'distinctive' so as to get a ligature for 'st' and a
ligature for 'ct' in a design for a greetings card.

In the event, the result was that the ligature for 'is'  prevented the
ligature for 'st' being displayed.

I already had a ligature for 'is' elsewhere in the text.

So, with some difficulty, I put a ZWNJ between the 'i' and the 's'. It
worked.

The whole story, with illustrations, is in the later part of page 7 of
the following thread.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/138654-artwork-for-greetings-cards/

How do readers use ZWNJ please,?

William Overington