Unicode.org mail system maintenance

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu May 20 09:34:36 CDT 2021

James Kass via Unicode wrote in
 <9cf38e38-5833-3acf-f069-f2ad3467d493 at code2001.com>:
 |On 2021-05-19 9:28 PM, Asmus Freytag via Unicode wrote:
 |> About the only thing that could have been done better is to announce such
 |> changes before implementing them. And in enough detail, so those \
 |> of us with
 |> custom mail filters can update them.
 |>
 |> Other than that, life means change.

 |Unicode stability policies don't extend to subdomain names.
 |
 |OAuth 2.0 appears to be about enhancing security.  Beefing up security
 |is probably wise, given these interesting times in which we're living.
 |
 |https://oauth.net/2/

Yes, OAuth is a login mechanism (and a terrible one, if you ask
me), and has nothing to do with sending mails to a mailing-list,
but (maybe, luckily not here) for the first "hop" (your login to
your mail provider / your own SMTP server, for example gmail.com).

Unicode switched to using the mailman list manager years ago,
which uses passwords -- for entering the per-user configuration,
which i did once, i think, to avoid the monthly password reminder
mail.  (For such tasks i use a dedicated browser "account" that is
separate from the normal browse account, and which lives on an
encrypted partition, that is mounted only temporarily.  (Mounting
is an action in the Unix world of operating systems.))

I did not say anything at first because the mailing-list seems to
be unloved for a long time, with (at least the free copies of) the
archives shattered.  In short: it is not an interactively scripted
web forum that can be driven in the browser.  (And unfortunately
my daily work has nothing to do with making my own software
Unicode aware.)  The explanation that seems to have been given by
administrators in response to a long-term Unicode worker was
ridiculous.  That is for sure.

--steffen