Keyboard Suddenly Outputting in NFD

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 27 14:00:22 CDT 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 22:16:24 +0000
Richard Wordingham via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

** FALSE ALARM! **

> I've just noticed that when I use my handrolled keyboard designed to
> output NFC, what appears on the terminal (Gnome-terminal) or browser
> (Firefox into a Wikimedia form), my text is being stored as NFD UTF-8.
> I use an M17n definition with fcitx on Ubuntu 16.04.3 as the input
> method. It used to generate NFC; I'm not sure when it suddenly changed
> to generating NFD text.

Sorry, it can't have been working as well as I thought it did.  I seem
to have slightly broken the keyboard in October 2020.

(The keyboard converts XSAMPA input to IPA in NFC.   The immediate idea
was to apply the transform for the string "_s" when there is a
transform for "a_M", without having to define a transform for "a_s".  I
defined a transform for "a_", that left "_" in the pending input, but
that extended transform then fired instead of the one for "a_M".)