Aw: Re: HTML entities

Harriet Riddle harjitmoe at outlook.com
Mon Mar 22 13:39:35 CDT 2021

Several originally presentational elements have been re-defined in HTML5 as having vague semantics distinct from just a styled span, but also distinct from any similarly styled semantic elements; those which could not be were deprecated.  This applies to more than just sup/sub, e.g. <i> is treated as a vague differentiated, but not emphasised, voice, such as commentary or a character's thoughts, et cetera.

This has some interesting effects: <small> has been interpreted as a deëmphasis and is still valid, while the accompanying <big> is deprecated since it could not be given a consistent distinctive semantic (e.g., headings should use heading elements).

—Har.