Suggestion for superscripts

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 3 15:16:05 CDT 2021

Interestingly, many years ago Bernard Miller, in his Bytext proposal,
suggested what he termed "arrow parentheses".

There were eight of them.

The glyphs were each either an opening or closing parenthesis character,
with either one or two up arrows, or one or two down arrows upon the
parenthesis.

The single ones opened or closed a sequence of characters that were to
be subscript or superscript, the double ones were for limits of definite
integrals, summations and so on.

It seemed to me then, and does so now, to be a very good idea.

I am not an expert on Unicode and maybe there is some structural reason
why this could not become implemented, even if people wanted it
implemented.

Yet I put this forward in the hope that the idea will be considered
seriously please.

https://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2002-m01/0477.hl

Here is a link to The Bytext Standard document.

https://web.archive.org/web/20030317065850/http://bytext.org/The_Bytext_Standard.pdf

Arrow parentheses are on pages 33 and 34.

Oh, and notwithstanding the comments about Bytext made in the mailing
list thread at the time, please have a look at pages 37 and 38 and
observe what was being suggested in 2002. Hmm.

William Overington

Thursday 3 June 2021