Draft proposal: Old Polish nasal vowel letter

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 13 05:55:21 CST 2021

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 20:54:18 +0000
Michael Everson via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Names are to be unique, not encyclopaedic. (The letter) O is (the
> letter) O. This is an O unique to Old Polish. Nothing to do with the
> sound (especially if it was /ã/ or /õ). Just a variety of (the
> letter) O used in Old Polish.

As I understand it, it was originally an additional letter, and has
always been used to contrast with the letter 'o'.  Basically, it's a
letter 'o' with a diacritic in the form of a slash through it, though as
with other old letter forms, portions of the slash may be uninked.  As
the behaviour of 'overstrike' diacritics is unpredictable and the Latin
script is privileged, the standard will only support the precomposed
form.