Zawgyi Tonemarks in Latin Script

Jukka K. Korpela jukkakk at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 13:48:38 CST 2021

James Kass via Unicode (unicode at unicode.org) kirjoitti:

> Unable to repro this here.  The string "kး" does not display with the
> dotted circle.  Tried this on Windows 7 with both BabelPad and
> LibreOffice.  (And now in the compose panel of Mozilla Thunderbird.)

This seems to depend on the font. On Win 10. I get a rendering with a
dotted circle between the Latin letter and the mark when using the Myanmar
Text font, but without it when using the Code2000 font. This happens e.g.
in Word 365 and in BabelPad, and even in NotePad.

Perhaps more surprisingly, the Google font Padauk, when tested via
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Padauk?subset=myanmar&preview.text=k%E1%80%B8&preview.text_type=custom
(tested on Chrome) shows the dotted circle when using regular (weight 400)
font but not when using bold (700) font.

I don’t quite understand the original problem. If you Romanize text, why
would you use marks of the original script? I think Romanization schemes
typically map marks to some combining marks commonly used for Latin letters
or some punctuation or special characters.

Jukka