Stickers

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 8 04:19:53 CST 2021

In https://www.unicode.org/emoji/proposals.html there is the following,
near the start.

> For proposals that may not have all the information required we
> encourage you to use other mechanisms such as stickers, gifs, etc. to
> share with the world.

What exactly is a sticker please?

For example, if someone produces and publishes an OpenType font with a
colourful glyph that is not mapped to a Unicode code point and the
publisher declares that the glyph can become displayed by an application
program by entering the sequence %9217 whereupon glyph substitution will
take place, substituting the colourful glyph for the five glyphs of the
sequence, provided that the application program has the ability to act
upon the liga table that is in the font and ligature substitution is
switched on, is  that a sticker in Unicode parlance? Or is it something
else, and if so, what is it please?

If people start using such sequences for glyphs then the result could be
as potentially ambiguous as using Private Use Area encodings.

However, I remember the way that new groups were added to the Usenet alt
hierarchy, using a process of making a proposal in the alt.config group
and discussion taking place for around a week and then starting of the
new group then usually proceeding. This avoided name clashes, helped
structure and was a generally helpful process. So these days, a mailing
list or a wiki could be used for an informal, non-obligatory, helpful
forum for such folk encoding so as to try to avoid duplication of
sequences and possibly to try to keep some sort of structure.

Encoding of glyphs in regular Unicode is good, yet for glyphs that do
not get encoded this could be a useful technique.

William Overington

Monday 8 February 2021