Teletext control codes

William_J_G Overington wjgo_10009 at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 16 15:42:28 CST 2021

In the document

Proposal to add further characters from legacy computers and teletext to
the UCS

https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2021/21235-terminals-supplement.pdf

at the end ogf page 4 is the following.

> Control characters from microcomputer platforms and teletext were also
> determined to be out of scope for the UCS. These characters were
> located in what would today be considered the C0 control range
> (0x00–0x1F) or the C1 control range (0x7F–0x9F). Processes that need
> to interchange these codes should simply interchange the binary C0 or
> C1 value, extended to the UCS code space but without further mapping.
> Emulators should treat these control codes as appropriate for the
> targeted environment.

In relation to teletext control codes, my opinion is that they need to
be encoded separately from the C0 control range. This would ensure that
in interchange that none of the teletext control codes is ever
misinterpreted as having the basic C0 character meaning.

There was no ambiguity possible in a teletext system.

In a viewdata system where the display was almost similar, there would
have been ambiguity and so the control characters for viewdata systems
were encoded not in the C0 set so as to avoid clashing between the
teletext character set as used for viewdata and and the basic control
characters. I remember that the signaling system used for control
characters in viewdata was explained in an article by Mr S Fedida in an
issue of Wireless World, before September 1977.

It may have been one article in a four article sequence, spread over
four issues of the magazine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Fedida

One possibility is to encode the teletext control characters as a block
of 32 code points in plane 14, without closing up the unused points.
These characters in plane 14 would be displayable characters and thus
not control characters in non-teletext-emulating systems, each displayed
as a glyph specified in The Unicode Standard as two small capital
letters arranged one above the other, but not overlapping. For example A
above G for Alphanumerics Green.

I opine that it would be good for the proposal be extended to include
encoding of the teletext control characters please.

Could we discuss this please?

William Overington

Thursday 16 December 2021