Directionality controls for malicious code

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Fri Dec 3 07:55:06 CST 2021

On 3 December 2021 at 14:37:34, Eli Zaretskii (eliz at gnu.org) wrote:

> We've gone a full circle now: flagging those as errors, when
> signal-to-noise ratio is low, is not a good idea. Users will turn the
> errors/warnings off, and that's the end of it.

The idea is to *only* flag the illegitimate uses. Defined as: those cases when text visually overflow the syntactic boundaries established by your programming language (e.g. string literal or comment delimiters).

This is a high signal-to-noise ratio and you can even make it a hard syntax error.

I'm not saying nothing should be done in editors to help with this aswell. But I don't really understand your objections, these are complementary approaches.

Best,

Daniel