Directionality controls for malicious code

Daniel Bünzli daniel.buenzli at erratique.ch
Fri Dec 3 07:29:56 CST 2021

On 3 December 2021 at 14:04:51, Eli Zaretskii (eliz at gnu.org) wrote:

> Editors have better chance to catch user's attention.

A compiler error catches your attention very quickly :-)

> Besides, what about the cases when you get a program compiled by
> someone else and review its sources to see if you can trust it?

Personally I don't think that's a super interesting use case. If you want to gain trust in a binary by reading its source code you need the ability to build it and something like [1]. Otherwise you are not gaining any trust over the binary at all.

> I'm not sure how this will help. Program code can be written even in
> a very simple text editor without any templates. How can you tell
> users to use templates?

In this case I'm not talking about computer programs. I'm talking about user input in general e.g. any website with user generated content.

Best,

Daniel

[1]: https://reproducible-builds.org/