Directionality controls for malicious code

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Thu Dec 2 01:24:37 CST 2021

Martin J. Dürst wrote:

> There are many other tools involved, in particular editors. There are
> probably way less serious editors than programming languages. Editors
> can clearly show problematic characters, so that users can decide
> whether they are dangerous or necessary (or both).

Given the publicity surrounding the "Trojan Source" paper, I'd be surprised if someone weren't already working on a Visual Studio Code extension that flags bidi controls in the editor window. It might already be available, for all I know.

Going into a panic and writing this into programming language specifications is what doesn't need to happen.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Lakewood, CO, US | ewellic.org