White spaces for the purpose of programming languages

Tom Honermann tom at honermann.net
Sun Apr 4 17:07:58 CDT 2021

On 3/31/21 11:10 PM, Markus Scherer via Unicode wrote:

>       o I can't tell if the EBCDIC platforms are "alive". Elsewhere I
>         have tried to find out if there is a competent C++11 compiler
>         available.

Yes, EBCDIC platforms continue to roam the earth.  IBM's traditional xlC
for z/OS compiler is effectively on life support and stuck at a
pre-C++11 language level, but there are multiple options for recent C++
language standards available today.  IBM has other EBCDIC-based OSs as
well, but I'm not as familiar with them.

IBM started distributing a Clang-based compiler (xlclang) with XL C/C++
V2.3.1
<https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/blogs/fang-lu2/2020/03/24/xl-cc-v231-for-zos-v23-web-deliverable-is-available-today-on-march-29-2019>
for z/OS two years ago and has started posting patches to LLVM Clang to
add z/OS support.  One such patch to enable -fexec-charset to support
IBM-1047 (an EBCDIC encoding of the ISO-8819-1 character repertoire) is
currently in review here <https://reviews.llvm.org/D93031>.

Dignus offers Systems/C++ <http://www.dignus.com/dcxx/>, a LLVM-based
C++ compiler that, as of version 2.25 released last year
<http://www.dignus.com/press_releases/200728.html>, supports C++17.

Tom.