BES island flags

Andrew West andrewcwest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 06:54:06 CDT 2020

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 11:57, Christoph Päper via Unicode
<unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> Unicode first needed to define a completely new method involving otherwise unused Tag characters to encode ISO 3166-2 codes as emoji flags. This enabled _thousands_ of new valid sequences, not all of which have a definitive flag design associated.

I believe that most ISO 3166-2 entities are not associated with a
definitive flag.

And conversely, some geographical entities with established flags do
not have an ISO 3166-2 code. For example, some historic counties of
England, Wales and Scotland which have a definitive flag do not
correspond to a single administrative district with an ISO 3166-2:GB
code (e.g. Middlesex and Sussex in England; Caithness and
Kirkcudbrightshire in Scotland; and Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire
in Wales). So if you wanted to create a font with the flags for all
the historic counties in the UK, it would not be possible to do so
using the defined flag tag sequences.

Andrew