BES island flags

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Sep 25 18:27:33 CDT 2020

Michael Everson wrote:

> But Unicode failed to add the Northern Ireland flag, even though it
> exists, regardless of its “official” status. (They didn’t ask the
> Irish or UK representatives to SC2 for an opinion, either. They just
> decided “No flag for GB-NIR”.)

Well, sort of. They decided, “We’ll make the other three ‘Recommended for General Interchange,’ but not GB-NIR.”

So a significant number of font vendors think 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁮󠁩󠁲󠁿 is “not recommended,” and although you can insert 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁮󠁩󠁲󠁿 into your text all you want, and if you’re lucky you might even see a Northern Ireland flag of one sort or another (say, if you use Andrew West’s BabelStone Flags font), odds are you won’t.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org