[SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 16 13:33:15 CDT 2020

Nobody’s going to consider #1 regardless of what wordsmithing is done in Unicode, people have had too much difficulty with BOMs for it to be considered as a serious standards based solution.  #4 isn’t portable.

The “right” approach would be to ensure that the languages have ways of declaring a codepage (like a pragma or other magic semantic, options 2 & 3).

The time invested on this problem should be spent on getting agreement with WG21 about what the declaration should be and seeing if there are any “gotchas” to something like #pragma UTF8.  IMO, it’s not the effort to try to get effort to tweak Unicode’s guidance in order to support the common view the BOMs are bad, which WG21 won’t be considering anyway.

The biggest thing I can think of is that very few codepages would lend themselves to being declared in a portable manner.  Different OS’s/software/vendors have different implementations of various codepages.  Even ones that are nominally similar often are mistagged or have subtle differences.

In other words, “UTF8” is about the only “safe” encoding that won’t have edge cases. Something like “shift-jis” has multiple legacy variations that mean everything won’t always be the same.

-Shawn