Teletext separated mosaic graphics

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Oct 16 12:19:22 CDT 2020

This discussion has focused on two fundamentally incompatible encoding protocols:

1. ECMA-48
2. Teletext

to which a third has been introduced:

3. HTML

Of course it is possible to convert almost any amount of plain-text styling into HTML, especially with enough CSS. Kent has provided an extensive set of examples to illustrate this. I did not find a corresponding example of the original source text for any of them, however, so it's hard to evaluate from all this what format is most suitable for representing original teletext pages in a Unicode plain-text environment.

I reiterate that it was UTC and Script Ad Hoc who provided the guidance to the group writing the Symbols for Legacy Computing proposal (and there is a second on the way) that 0x00 through 0x1F in the original teletext set should map to U+0000 through U+001F when converting to Unicode.

We will eventually create a Unicode Technical Note to help guide implementers in the use of Legacy Symbols characters to develop, among other things, teletext emulation. It would be great if we could converge on a solution for this that would align with the guidance of UTC and Script Ad Hoc.

--
Doug Ewell, CC, ALB | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org