[SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

Tom Honermann tom at honermann.net
Wed Oct 14 00:16:14 CDT 2020

On 10/13/20 5:29 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> >   The "use something other than a BOM" could mean adding a command
> line option, adding a menu option, remembering what encoding was used
> for that file last time, performing a heuristic analysis (that may or
> may not include the presence of a BOM in its calculation), prompting
> the user, etc...
>
> That’s the catch.  “Adding… adding… remembering… performing.”  If the
> code was doing the best practices/right thing, it’d be using UTF-8.
> It isn’t, and it’s sort of a given that it’s legacy behavior.
> Therefore “adding”, etc. means that changes have to happen to the
> applications &/or processes.  Which aren’t necessarily going to be
> deployed promptly, if at all.  This isn’t a problem that a standard or
> best practices can solve.
>
> Everyone already knows the best practice:  “Use UTF-8”.  Any
> resources/effort is going to be getting toward that best practice, not
> edge cases of legacy behaviors that are offshoots of something that
> isn’t the desired end state of “use UTF-8”.

My goal is exactly to ease migration to that end state.  We can't
reasonably synchronize a migration of all C++ projects to UTF-8. To get
to that end state, we'll have to enable C++ projects to independently
transition to UTF-8.  Such independent transition will be eased by
having a portable means to indicate that a source file is UTF-8 encoded
in such a way that a C++ compiler can process it correctly when it is
#included from a differently encoded source file.  This would suffice
for a project to migrate to UTF-8 while being usable (e.g., having its
header files #included) by another UTF-8 encoded project, a Windows-1252
encoded project, or an EBCDIC encoded project.  Those other projects can
then migrate to UTF-8 on their own schedule.

Use of a BOM would be one way to get to that desired end state but, as
you mentioned, a BOM isn't a great way to identify UTF-8 data.  The
Unicode standard already admits this with the quoted "not recommended"
text, but it lacks the rationale to defend that recommendation or to
explain when it may be appropriate to disregard that recommendation.  My
goal with this paper is to fill that hole.  If you don't care for how
I've proposed it to be filled, that is certainly ok and alternative
suggestions are welcome.

> I sympathize with the problem, since I encounter variations of it
> every day, I just don’t think any tweaking of this text will have any
> practical impact with moving the needle.

That is entirely possible.

Tom.