ISO 14651/14652 vs Unicode sorting

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Fri May 29 03:38:43 CDT 2020

On Thu, 28 May 2020 19:14:05 -0700
Markus Scherer via Unicode <unicode at unicode.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 5:05 PM Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
> unicode at unicode.org> wrote:
>
> > Does ICU now support the ISO 14651 default for NFD strings of
> > assigned characters?  I thought supporting DUCET was abandoned
> > several years ago.

> ICU uses the CLDR sort order which is a mild tailoring of the DUCET.

Depending on what you mean by tailoring.  By definition, it's not a
tailoring in the CLDR sense!

I'll take that answer as 'no'.  ICU used to claim to support DUCET, and
I suspect that there is a tailoring that will get through the UCA
compliance testing if restricted to assigned characters.  However, it
seems that the ICU/CLDR teams decided that that goal wasn't worth the
effort.