QID Emoij (was: Re: Wireless Connection Symbol)

abrahamgross at disroot.org abrahamgross at disroot.org
Fri May 29 02:48:47 CDT 2020

What if instead of using a QID which on its own is just meaningless numbers, we do tag_start, then write out a word in the tag letters, then close it off with a tag_end. this way, if your device doesn't have the font, it can fall back by rendering the tags through regular character (with an indicator that an emoji is supposed to be there)

Example:
Suppose I type: “I love ⎆triceratops✦” (with ⎆ being tag_start; ✦ being tag_end; and everything between being tag ascii characters E0020-E007E),
My phone, that has the correct font installed, will render it as

 [cid:eu.faircode.email.996]

While for someone else without the font, it would render as something like “I love 🖼𝚝𝚛𝚒𝚌𝚎𝚛𝚊𝚝𝚘𝚙𝚜”

 [cid:eu.faircode.email.998]

This way the intent of the original message will carry across to the reader correctly whether they have the correct font or not. This makes it better than PUA due to the information not being completely lost, and as a another bonus, screen readers would be able to read this just fine (i.e. “I love 🔔triceratops🔔”, where 🔔 represents a tone.)

I understand that this uses more space than QID sequences, but I think the payoff of not having to worry about �/〓/□/☒ everywhere is worth it.