characters for edge crossing/edge casing

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sun May 17 14:23:06 CDT 2020

Matt Rice wrote:

> I had looked, but couldn't find any characters suitable for edge
> crossing/casing such as tunnel's, bridges in the following paper,
> suitable for orthogonal graph layouts.
> e.g. vertical/horizontal crossing, somwhat similar to the characters
> ⤫, ⤫ U+292B-U+292C, but at 90 degrees.
>
> https://arxiv.org/pdf/0705.0413.pdf
>
> Or another style of crossing which I forget the name of,
> https://www.yworks.com/assets/images/features/bridges.ff977b3c.svg
>
> Have characters for this purpose been proposed before?

Shapecatcher couldn't find them either, so I suppose they don't exist and could be reasonably proposed.

Keep in mind that even at 90 degrees, it should be possible to show examples of them in plain text, not just in diagrams, and that arbitrary angles such as those shown in the paper should be inadmissible.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org