UAX #29 and WB4

Andy Heninger via Unicode unicode at unicode.org
Tue Mar 10 00:00:57 CDT 2020

 daniel.buenzli wrote:

I think the behaviour of → rules should be clarified

I wholeheartedly agree.

If I understand correctly if the match [or a "treat-as" rule] spans over
> the [candidate] boundary position candidate that simply turns it into a
> non-boundary. Otherwise you apply the rule on the left of the boundary
> position candiate.

I have considered the extent of a left-side treat-as match to not continue
beyond the candidate boundary position. This comes into play following a
ZWJ, where it may be absorbed into a "treat as" on the left (WB4), while
some other rule triggers on the right side (WB3C). At any rate, this is
what I do in ICU. It gets very confusing, and is tricky to implement.

Reconsidering how ZWJ rules work could also be a help, if we could figure
out how to keep them out of the "treat as" rules, but use explicit no-break
rules on both sides instead.

  -- Andy