OverStrike control character

James Kass jameskasskrv at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 07:57:43 CDT 2020

On 2020-06-20 10:30 AM, David Starner via Unicode wrote:
> It doesn't feel that you want a
> way to store and display overtyped text, it feels that you want
> Unicode to officially support it. It's a very complex and expensive
> expansion, but if a bunch of people were using overtyped text, this
> discussion might be going differently.
Yes.  And even if we suppose that some groups like coin collectors or
epigraphers might find that kind of feature helpful, there's a couple of
points to consider.  One is that groups like that are probably already
cheerfully exchanging information using either some kind of rich text
scheme or some kind of plain-text convention.  The other is that if
their needs were not being met they would be lobbying to get some kind
of support, which doesn't seem to be happening.

In the case of coin catalogs, the 'spell-it-out' convention predates the
computer era.  It wouldn't surprise if epigraphic conventions also
predate computers.  People tend to stick with their conventions.  If the
overstrike feature became available in plain-text, I'd expect the coin
catalogs to keep spelling things out for both clarity and consistency.