What constitute? an abstract character?

Corentin corentin.jabot at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 17:17:41 CDT 2020

Hello
While trying to define suitable semantic for the lexing of C++, we seem to
fail to agree on the definition of abstract characters

Notably:
- Would diatrics marks considered in isolation be considered abstract
characters?
- What about Hangul Jamos and other marks that are not found in isolation
in their respective scripts, Variation selectors, etc ?

I guess another way to phrase my question is: does every assigned codepoint
represent on its own an abstract character?

My understanding is that is not the case, but I am eager to be enlighten

Thanks,

Corentin