OverStrike control character

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Fri Jun 12 10:12:31 CDT 2020

If we're going to get all ECMA-48 about this, there is also CUB (CSI D), which moves the "active presentation position" back one character, or HPB (CSI j), which moves the "active data position" back one character. (Notice that even ECMA-48 understands the difference between presentation and data.)

Both of these take an optional numeric parameter, so you can back up more than one position if you want.

So you have those. And if they don't work for you, well, then they don't work. It's no different from adding an overstrike mechanism to Unicode and expecting it to work for everyone, in all editing and displaying contexts, with all fonts and rendering engines, on all platforms.

This is a very non-Unicode concept and I would suggest re-reading what Ken Whistler and others had to say about it.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org