Why do the Hebrew Alphabetic Presentation Forms Exist

Doug Ewell doug at ewellic.org
Sat Jun 6 10:58:31 CDT 2020

abrahamgross at disroot.org wrote:

> I've been thinking about writing a proposal for the double story "a"
> so that I can send an unambiguous IPA transcription - even to ppl with
> devices that have the U0061 “a” as a single storey "a" - but I don't
> want to spend a ton of time on something thatll get rejected…

IMHO the major beneficiary of such a character would be the shadowy authors of those annoying "I know your password, now send me bitcoin or I'll send incriminating videos to all your contacts" messages, who love to sprinkle in lookalike characters (like, well, ɑ) for whatever reason.

In this whole thread, I have yet to see why Alphabetic Presentation Forms would be considered a good place to encode a variant form of a Hebrew letter. If that's no longer being considered, or never was, perhaps a change in Subject line would help readers.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org